Welcome to the Chemical Characterisation and Analysis Facility (CCAF) wiki space
The Faculty of Science has recently combined the core technologies for Chemical Characterisation under the single organisational structure of the Chemical Characterisation and Analysis Facility (CCAF). These services are available to all researchers at the University of Bath, as well as researchers from other Universities and external companies.
CCAF Introduction presentation 2017 - CCAF intro sessions presentation 2017.pptx
The characterisation tools available include:
Accurate mass and isotope determination
- ESI and APCI ionisation available, coupled to a time-of-flight (TOF) analyser. LC-MS service also offered.
- Analysis of air-sensitive compounds using a glovebox - mass spectrometer combination
- Analysis of intact and digested protein samples by nanoLC-MS
For Open Access training click here.
- Determination of structure in solution. Spectrometers ranging from 250-500 MHz are available, and a complete range of modern multinuclear experiments can be run.
- Time can be booked on three instruments (click on the link):
- 400 MHz in Chemistry
- 500 MHz in Chemistry
- 500 MHz in Pharmacy For specific information on NMR in Pharmacy and Pharmacology or Chemistry please click on the links below
X-Ray Powder Diffraction (XRPD) - fingerprinting of crystalline powders or crystalline deposits on matrix. Determination whether a sample is crystalline or amorphous.
Single Crystal X-Ray Diffraction - Full structural characterisation from a suitable single crystal (i.e. shape of molecule, content of molecule, all geometric data, how molecules pack together, intermolecular forces).
Thermogravimetry with Evolving Gas Analysis (TG-EGA) - Measurement of mass change upon a change in temperature, with detection of evolved species
Microcalorimetry (µDSC) - Measurement of heat exchange in any physical or chemical transformation
Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) - Measurement of the elastic modulus (Young's modulus) and visco-elastic behaviour of bars or films
Surface & Porosity Analysis - Measurement of BET surface area and pore size distribution of porous solids
Size Exclusion Chromatography (aka GPC) - Determination of the molar mass distribution of polymer chains
Elemental Analysis (CHN) - Analysis of a material to determine mass fractions of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen within the sample.
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) - Technique used to determine endothermic or exothermic physical transformations. Widely used to ascertain sample purity and to study polymer curing.
News and Updates
Linking research outputs to facilities in Pure – researchers who use CCAF managed facilities are encouraged to link their publications in Pure following the seven speedy steps shown here.
For further information on availability and costs, please do not hesitate to contact the service managers direct via the individual service pages linked above, or the Head of CCAF (Dr Anneke Lubben) by email or phone 01225 384173 (x4173).