First Turn Editing On in your Moodle unit.
In the topic section where you would like to add a forum, from the Add an Activity drop down list select Forum. This will take you to the 'Adding a new Forum' page.
Work through the options and complete any compulsory fields (in red with an asterisk*). Use the blue buttons with question marks to access help if you do not understand any of the options. Some of the more important settings/details are:
- Forum name - will be the name seen by students for the link that takes them to the forum
- Forum introduction - will be the text that the participants see when they open up the forum. It is a good place to add a description of the purpose of the forum, any tips on forum etiquette and to clarifiy expectations of participation. Because this information is added using an html editor you can include images, links, audio/video as well as formatted text.
- Forum type - the default is a 'Standard forum for general use' which will lets anyone start a new discussion and reply to posts at any time. Clicking on the blue help button will give a description of the other available forum options.
- Subscription mode - if a participant is subscribed to a forum they will receive email copies of any forum posts.
- Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed
Click on Save and display at the bottom of the page when you have completed all of the options. this will open up the forum page and you can then add a first discussion/post.
- It is a good idea to embed the discussion in other work and provide a clear, well written prompt to get students contributing.
- You can make forums available to only certain groups of students. See the FAQ on 'Restricting forum availability' link.
- Forums can be rated to provide marks in the Moodle gradebook for each participant. See the FAQ on 'Setting up rating for forums'.link