Moodle assumes that you will probably be working with percentages and so offers a choice of grades from 0 to 100. If this does not reflect your mark scheme, it is possible to create a customised grade scale eg 'A to E' or 'Poor to Outstanding'.
To create a custom grade scale:
- Go to the course where the grade scale is required.
- In the Administration block click on Grades
- In the dropdown list at the top of the page select: Scales - View
- Click on Add new scale
- Give the scale a Name. Choose an easily identifiable name, especially if you plan to share the scale with other users.
- If you want to use the scale in other Moodle units you can make it a Standard scale so that it is available to all Moodle users.
- Add the Scale - each element separated by a comma.
Although staff and students will see the values assigned by a grading scale in the Grader report, these values will function numerically in any grade book calculations. Since the first value in a custom scale is given the value of 1, and subsequent values are assigned the next whole number (e.g. "Not Satisfactory" = 1, "Satisfactory" = 2, "Outstanding" = 3), your grade scale should run from the lower end of the scale to the upper end.
- Save changes
To add the custom scale to your assignment:
- Go to the assignment
- Click on Edit settings in the Settings block
- In the Grade drop down list, choose your scale
- Save and return to course or Save and display