Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

2.1 University-Student partnership

The University and the Students’ Union (SU) have a longstanding commitment and culture of working in partnership to deliver the highest quality student experience. The University-Student Partnership Statement has been developed collaboratively by the Students’ Union (SU) and University to set out the mutual commitment of staff and students and our collective expectations.

The statement sets out the shared principles that support this commitment, including working together in partnership to:

  • make your transition to University life as smooth as possible;
  • deliver and participate fully in the highest quality learning and teaching experience;
  • recognise the important role that research plays in the University experience, ensuring there is a close working relationship between students and staff;
  • maintain a strong community and environment which enable honest and constructive feedback to each other;
  • consider the broad co-curricular opportunities available  beyond your academic studies;
  • encourage a continued University experience after graduation or completion of your studies through our Alumni network.

2.2 Expectations and Responsibilities

Beyond the above principles which apply to all university students, your PGCE course is also a professional preparation for a career in teaching which adds an additional dimension. The expectations and responsibilities outlined below constitutes an informal 'contract' between the PGCE Partnership and course members and is part of the Partnership's quality assurance process. Alongside these expectations which you can have of the course, there are an interconnected set of responsibilities which you have to your own and other course members' continuing professional development - and towards teachers, tutors, schools and the University. Without the exercise of such individual and collective responsibility, and the initiative taking which they imply, it is impossible for the Partnership to ensure that the course will be an enriching and fulfilling process. 

As a teacher you will be obliged to attend school punctually and regularly. You must contact your school if you are likely to be absent through illness etc. We all expect a similar commitment from you during this year. Your attendance at tutorials, seminars, SD and EPS sessions is required and expected.  If you know you are unable to be present at a particular session, you should advise your tutor accordingly, explaining the circumstances.  You should also contact tutors retrospectively if you were unavoidably unable to attend a particular session. If you need to be away from the University during your course you must seek a leave of absence form from the Director of Studies. If you miss a University session, for whatever reason, you must ensure that you catch up on work which you have missed. Your University tutor may wish to set you an extra task to ensure that you cover the work which you missed.

From the University you can have an expectation of:

  • SD tutor contact as indicated in the course timetable, with individual tutorial sessions as necessary;
  • experiencing all aspects of SD and EPS programmes;
  • appropriate feedback, orally and in writing from tutors, on development during the course;
  • critical feedback, orally and in writing, on continuing SD and EPS tasks during the year;
  • sufficient time for reflection within the university-based programme;
  • help with the setting of learning agenda through completion of Training Planner sheets;
  • guidance with regard to job hunting and interviews;
  • reasonable access to up-to-date resources for SD and EPS programmes;
  • reasonable access to the Library's education books and journals and the e-library;
  • appropriate support in ICT development, and access to ICT facilities;
  • a regular formal channel of communications with course managers and tutors;
  • reasonable informal access to support staff, course managers and administrators;
  • courteous, efficient responses to enquiries, queries and financial claims;
  • a reference from the university SD tutor (or the school Subject Mentor or PT where requested);
  • prompt responses to reference requests;
  • clear statements of entitlement and responsibilities;
  • information about finding accommodation;
  • access to the University's counselling services;
  • access to financial information about grants, bursaries and loans.
2.2.1 Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks

You are required to have completed a DBS check prior to commencing your programme. The University will then decide whether or not your check is satisfactory for the purposes of entering a teacher training course. If such check is pending at registration, you will be permitted to register provided the application process for the relevant check/registration has been completed. Should the DBS check subsequently prove to be unsatisfactory the University reserves the right to terminate your registration and to require you to withdraw.

2.2.2 University Regulations regarding misconduct during the PGCE course 

A student who is the subject of a complaint of misconduct or against whom a criminal charge is pending, or who is the subject of police investigation, may be suspended from any class or classes or excluded from any part of the University and its precincts by the Vice-Chancellor for such period as the Vice-Chancellor may determine. The Vice-Chancellor shall report any such suspension or exclusion to the Senate at its next meeting.

You should note that all registered students are subject to the University Regulations throughout the duration of their programmes, and that in the case of PGCE students this includes periods spent in schools. It is the student's responsibility to inform the Director of Studies of any issues of misconduct immediately.

2.2.3 Fitness to Practise Policy

In addition to the Regulations which apply to all University students, the PGCE programme is included in the list of mainly professional training programmes which are covered by the University's Fitness to Practise Policy. This policy lays down a clear process for the investigation of any allegations of professional misconduct and sanctions (including withdrawal from the programme) which might be applied. The policy can be found on the University website. Professional Conduct expectations form Part 2 of the DfE Teachers' Standards (see Appendix 1) and therefore must be met before a recommendation of Qualified Teacher Status can be made. It is important that all trainees are aware of the FtP policy and how it links to the Teachers' Standards. Any questions about this should be put to the Director of Studies.

2.2.4 Professional Relationships

In addition, a range of personal qualities and attributes are expected of trainee teachers, tutors and teachers across the Partnership. These are the usual qualities expected of professional people working together: i.e. consideration, courtesy, conscientiousness, confidentiality, patience, punctuality, a professional appearance and bearing, and mutual tolerance and respect.

Throughout the course you are expected to establish and maintain appropriate professional relationships with university tutors, teachers, trainee teachers, pupils and all other persons with whom you come into contact. Failure to do so may result in your school placement being suspended (see the relevant information on the PGCE wiki). In these circumstances, the Department of Education cannot guarantee to find you an alternative placement and the Board of Examiners may decide that you have failed the Practice of Teaching element of the course.

In some cases, a lack of development in the ability to establish and maintain appropriate and effective professional relationships may result in your registration on the course being terminated. If tutors have concerns about the effectiveness of your professional relationships they will draw these to your attention. If problems persist, the Director of Studies will be informed. The Director of Studies will meet with you and may issue you with a written warning setting out the tutor's concerns. Expectations and responsibilities relating to professional relationship during your school placements can be found in Section 3.

2.2.5 E-Safety

You will be required to attend a workshop on e-safety during the first phase of the course but it is important that as soon as possible you think about your on-line profile and information about you that it is on social networking websites. You may wish to review information that is in the public domain about you and therefore is accessible to staff, pupils and parents in the schools you will be working in and in other schools which might be future employers when you start applying for teaching posts.

What might be considered to be an appropriate public profile for an undergraduate student might not be considered so for a prospective teacher.

You should try to minimise the amount of personal information available publicly, look carefully at links and tags and review all photographs and images. Good questions to ask yourself might be - is there anything publicly visible which might be viewed unfavourably by a parent of a child you are teaching? - is there anything that could be potentially compromising to yourself if it was disseminated more widely?

It should go without saying that you should never give anything like personal email addresses or mobile phone numbers to pupils. You should not contact pupils using personal email, mobile phone voice or text. You should not have any contact with pupils via social networking websites or share any personal information in that way. Something seemingly innocent like posting a picture of you and a class you have taught on your Facebook page is not acceptable and could result in action under the Fitness to Practise Policy and ultimately in you having to leave the course.

2.3 University services and trainee welfare

2.3.1 Personal Tutor system

A Personal Tutor is assigned to all students; he or she will help you to get the best out of your university experience and can guide you to sources of expert help – whether on academic progress or personal/welfare issues – when or as you may need it. On the PGCE programme, your Subject Didactics tutor is your Personal Tutor and so you will have considerable contact day to day contact with him or her but you can request a personal, one-to-one meeting at any time. If there are any issues about your relationship with your SD Tutor, you will need to contact the Director of Studies.

There are also a range of specialist University support services that you may be referred to, or can approach directly.  Your two main contact points are the Student Services Centre and the Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre.

2.3.2 Support Services

The Student Services Centre can provide or direct students to advice on a range of issues including academic skills, disability, funding, health and well-being, and visa queries. It runs various “drop-in” sessions. Full details can be obtained from the Student Services Centre. It also provides letters confirming student status for a variety of purposes, which can be requested by logging onto Registration on–line (

The Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre deals with academic and welfare issues, ranging from representation at academic reviews and appeals to housing and welfare issues. It also provides information for students, including those wanting to submit individual mitigating circumstances, change their course or experiencing problems with their course.

The University Careers Advisory Service can support you through the career planning process. In addition to providing support with developing your employability, and guidance on how to make informed career decisions, Careers Advisers will provide help with writing your CV, practising aptitude tests, and improving your interview skills. Being in regular contact with several hundred major employers, the CAS is also the best source of summer internships and graduate vacancies for Bath students.

Further information and contacts

A guide to the wide variety of support and information available to students can be found at and the Students Union website This includes essential information on medical services and security and other facilities such as the Chaplaincy.

Student Services Centre in 4 West is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm during term-time.semesters, and 10am to 4pm non-term time; 01225 385538.  The Helpdesk can also be contacted via the Student Services Helpdesk tab on your personal student record `SAMIS' page. For the full range of services see

The Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre is open 9am to 5pm in term time and 10am to 4pm during vacations; 01225 386906; email at

For the full range of services see or

The Careers Advisory Service in Norwood is open from 9.15am to 4.30pm, with lunch time closure from 1-2pm in vacations.

2.3.3 Complaints

We want to ensure that, if you have a problem concerning the University, it is resolved as quickly as possible. There are student representatives on all formal decision-making committees – at programme, departmental, and University level. Student representatives help to anticipate problems and, when problems occur, to deal with them promptly. As a result we can often resolve problems before they get to the stage where a formal complaint might be necessary.

If you do need to make a complaint, there are procedures in place to deal with it, outlined at These procedures are designed to ensure that your complaint will be dealt with in good faith and that you will not be penalised for complaining. When we receive a complaint, we will first seek to deal with it through informal discussion. If this fails to resolve the issue at hand, you can raise the complaint formally.

In addition, there are procedures for requesting a review of decisions concerning failure of a unit or part of a programme or failure to progress to the next part of the programme. For information on these procedures, please see section, Procedures for the Review of a Board of Studies Decision.

2.3.4 Bullying and Harassment

We believe that all employees and students are entitled to dignity and respect and to be free from unlawful discrimination, victimisation, bullying, or any form of harassment. This is set out in the University's policy, The Dignity and Respect for Students and Staff of the University of Bath: Policy and Procedures available at

2.3.5 Mediation

If you are involved in a disagreement or dispute, you can seek help from the University's Mediation Service.  This service is impartial, non-judgemental, and confidential.  Requests for mediation support should in the first instance be made either to the Mediation Service Manager, or the Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre coordinator.

Further information and contacts

Mediation Service:

Mediation Service Manager: Marlene Bertrand (01225 383098); or

Students' Union Advice and Support coordinator: Carol Lacey; (01225 386906)

2.3.6 Individual Mitigating Circumstances

Individual Mitigating Circumstances (IMCs) refer to conditions or circumstances that either prevent temporarily a student from undertaking assessment or significantly impair a student’s performance in assessment. Note that the criterion for IMCs is the impact on the assessment, rather than the impact on the student. IMCs are distinct from longer-term conditions or circumstances that affect your ability to study, of the type that might be better supported through, for instance, disability support or special assessment arrangements. Definitions of IMCs can be found in “What are Individual Mitigating Circumstances” -  You should make yourself familiar with these definitions, in addition to any IMC guidance offered by your Department and support and guidance offered through the Student Disability Advice Team or the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre, so that you are prepared should such circumstances arise. 

Your Department will be able to advise you on how to submit an IMC claim. Should you wish any IMCs to be taken into account by the Board of Examiners for Programmes, notify your Director of Studies within three working days of completion of the relevant assessment. The form you should use to do this is available from your Department or from . You will need to submit evidence of your claim – for example, in the case of illness or injury, a medical certificate.  

If you know of an IMC before you begin an assessment period, please notify your Director of Studies in advance. The information given here is a summary for your general guidance.  Full information and guidance on the University’s principles governing Individual Mitigating Circumstances and Assessment is available at

Further information  

Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre ( )

Student Disability Advice team (

2.3.7 Advice for students with disabilities, long-term illness, and specific learning difficulties

If you have a disability, specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia), we strongly advise you to disclose this. This will enable us to assess your needs and make arrangements to support you.

Please speak to the the Student Disability Advice team, your Subject Didactic Tutor or Director of Studies as soon as possible – preferably before the course begins. Any personal information you give when disclosing your disability will be treated in confidence and made available only to relevant members of staff and only with your permission.

Please recognise that if you don't disclose your disability - or if you withhold permission to forward information to the relevant members of staff – you may make it difficult for the University to provide suitable support to help you achieve your academic targets. Disclosure will not disadvantage you in any way.

Student Disability Advice provides advice, guidance, information and support for a range of needs including:

  • Autism Spectrum Disorders/Asperger's Syndrome;
  • dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties;
  • mental health;
  • mobility impairments;
  • sensory impairments;
  • unseen disabilities like Epilepsy/HIV/AIDS/Chronic Fatigue

Disability advisers can advise students about support available and putting support into practice. A screening process is available if you feel you may have a specific learning difficulty/dyslexia.  Disability Advisers are responsible for making applications for alternative arrangements for exams and assessments.  Therefore, if you think that, because of a disability, you need alternative exam arrangements (such as extra time or the use of a computer) discuss this with a Disability Adviser without delay.

Further information :

Student Disability Advice:

Assistive technologies:

2.3.8 Pregnancy and Maternity/Paternity

The University of Bath believes that being a or becoming a pregnant, terminating a pregnancy or having a very young child should not, in itself, be a barrier to applying for, starting, or succeeding in, or completing a programme of study. The University is committed to being as flexible as possible in supporting students in these circumstances to ensure they have access to their progamme of study.

Students are not under any obligation to inform their Faculty/Department/School or College if they become pregnant, have a child, or decide to terminate a pregnancy while they are a Bath student. However, university or partner organisation staff will not be able to take a flexible approach to an individual's programme of study or offer her specific support, unless she informs them of her situation.

Students are able to gain advice, guidance and support via Directors of Study, Personal Tutors and the University's Student Services.

2.3.9 The English Language Centre

The English Language Centre (ELC) offers a range of English courses during term time to support undergraduates and postgraduates in their studies and to improve their English.  The ELC's in-sessional programme includes classes that will help students with academic writing, giving presentations and taking part in seminars, as well as Cambridge examination classes. 

While most of its units are for non-native speakers of English, it also offers an academic writing unit for students whose first language is English. 

Further information

English Language Centre

Self Access Language Centre (SALC) ( provides students with a variety of material to study English and other languages.   

2.3.10 The Library 

The Library is open 24 hours a day and provides materials and information services to support study and research across the University.  It houses around 500 networked workstations, wireless networking and laptop docking points and provides study areas for both quiet individual study and group work.  The Library¿s copy and print service includes black and white and colour photocopying, laser printing and scanning. Charges are kept as low as possible.

Information specialists, known as Subject Librarians (see the Department¿s Library home page), are responsible for services to individual Departments and Schools. They provide individual help to students and staff, as well as teaching information skills. All new students receive library introduction sessions during the induction period. The Education Librarian is Justin Hodds whose office can be found on level 5 of the Library.

The Department of Education's Library home page is
For an explanation of library resources, please see

2.3.11 Computing Facilities and IT skills

You will have been issued with a unique username and password to register online. This forms your email address ( and once registered, you can use one of the thousand or so BUCS (Bath University Computing Service) student access workstations anywhere on campus. These enable you to use email, the internet, file storage, Office programs such as word processing and often give access to the more complex software used on your programme. The machines print to laser-printers in the library for which there is a charge per page.

With your username and password you can also register your own laptop, smart phone or similar for connection to the campus wireless network (which covers communal areas, the Library, cafes and similar) or to around 150 student docking ports.  

Support is available from the BUCS User Support Desk on Level 2 of the Library or online at  A range of e-learning tools are available to you via the BUCS website. There are tutorials in the self-help section.

If you have a disability or learning difficulty, BUCS can support you with your computing needs. A BUCS technician specialises in assistive technology support. Resources available include a purpose-built room, specialist software, and computer hardware, including laptops for loan.

The IT shop in the Library stocks popular products such as academic software, DVDs, network cables and headsets. You can order many further IT products through the shop. Prices are often lower than in high street shops.

Further information

Guide to BUCS services:


Information for new users:

Information for users with a disability or learning difficulty:

IT shop:

2.3.12 Academic and Key Skills

To succeed in your studies, as well as developing subject specific knowledge, you will also need to develop a range of academic (key) skills which will help you to become an independent learner. Many of these skills are transferable to the workplace and will therefore also benefit you later on in your future career. Resources and training are provided by centrally organised services and by the Students' Union.  Click on the Student Support and Resources logo, wherever you see it on the University's website, and it will take you to a list of the services and support the University has to offer - These services cover a wide range of skills including: 

  • Academic writing – basic level (English Language Centre) advanced level (Writing Coaches)
  • Maths and Statistics Help (MASH)
  • Study skills (Students Union - SORTED)
  • Computing (SORTED and BUCS)
  • Information skills, including referencing (the Library)
  • CV writing, and interview techniques (the Careers Advisory Service). 
2.3.13 Personal Development Planning and Career Enhancement

Personal Development Planning (PDP) is a process of recording and reflecting on your skills and experience which will help you to plan for your personal, educational, and career development.  The University provides information and tools to guide you through the process.

Further information

2.3.14 Equalities and Diversity

Everyone at the University of Bath has a responsibility for promoting equality and fostering good relations between all members of the community, staff and students, and also for eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation against anyone for reasons of age, disability, gender, race  (includes colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin), religion/belief, sexuality or trans status.   

An important factor in promoting equality and valuing diversity is language and the way that we use it. The University provides guidance on the Positive Use of Language which is designed to raise awareness and develop good practice. It is available at or email

2.3.15 Health and Safety

The University's Health and Safety Policy is available at and is also displayed throughout the campus. Staff within the Safety, Health and Environment Unit (WH3.26) monitor the health and safety management of the University and advise on health and safety issues.

Trainees are covered by the University's public liability and professional indemnity insurance for claims made against them arising from their activities as a University of Bath student.  The University does not provide any motor insurance cover for vehicles, so trainees are that they will need motor car insurance cover for 'business' use as well as 'social domestic and pleasure' use.

The issues discussed here apply to your work in any workplace. Basic health and safety information should be given you as part of your induction programme when you first go into your Homeschool and Complementary School. You should ensure that you are familiar with safety procedures in school. Please consult your Professional Tutors if you have any doubts or queries.  

Further information or email

2.3.16 Emergency procedures

Emergency procedures are displayed on signs in each teaching room in the University. Please read them carefully and then, as you walk around the building make sure you know:

  • which exits to take from the building in cases of emergency;
  • where the fire fighting equipment is, and how to use it;
  • where the telephones are;
  • where the emergency assembly points are; and,
  • where the first aid boxes are.

You may be located in teaching rooms outside of the Department, so you should always be aware of the location of fire exits.

You will be briefed on emergency procedures in your placement schools during your induction at the start of placements.

Assembly point

In the event of an alarm signal, leave the building by the most direct route.  The assembly point for all Department of Education personnel is at the north side of the building in to the Copse across from Building 3 East, adjacent to Brendon Court. There are refuge points at each level of the stair-wells for disabled people to wait for assistance.


Staircases are located in 1 West, between 1 West and 1 West North, and at either end of the 1 West North building.

Telephones and first aid kits 

First aid kits are available in rooms 1WN 3.20 and 3.24 for emergency use.  An emergency telephone is also situated in the Department foyer on level 3.  Fire alarms and different types of fire fighting equipment are located according to the map displayed in the foyer.

Other University buildings

When working in other areas of the campus please familiarise yourselves with the location of emergency equipment, telephones, exits, alarms and the relevant assembly points.

Enquiries concerning safety matters should be referred to the Department's Safety Officer - Dr Paul Denley:

2.3.17 General Safety Procedures


Accidents, however trivial they may seem, must be reported to the Department of Education Coordinator.  In all cases of injury please fill in one of the Incident Report Forms and return it to the Department of Education Coordinator.  The forms are available from the Coordinator. 

Please respect the No Smoking regulations throughout the University, and the no eating and drinking requirements in laboratories and computer rooms.

Removal of Equipment and Materials

Anyone taking equipment, apparatus, chemicals or other materials from the University for use elsewhere can, under the terms of the legislation, be viewed as the supplier of the materials, and consequently, might find themselves legally responsible for any accidents which arise from their use.  Furthermore there is no insurance provision to protect you in the event of an accident involving such materials that are being transported outside the University. 

Therefore you may not borrow apparatus or equipment to use during your school placements.

You may borrow 'paper' resources (including film and tapes) providing the signing-out procedures are carried out.  You may also make arrangements through your tutors to borrow sound or video recording equipment for specific coursework tasks.

Evening/weekend working

If you wish to work in the Department of Education outside normal hours, please see the Safety Notice Board in the 1 West North Level 3 Foyer for details.  It is important that you don't work alone, especially during the evening, and don't undertake any practical activities unless you feel competent to carry them out.  In cases of emergency, you can dial 666 on any internal telephone to contact the Security Office.

Children on campus

If for any reason it is necessary for you to bring a child on to the University campus you must make sure that they are supervised at all times.  This is particularly imperative in areas which have been designed and constructed for an adult population and may be hazardous to children.  

2.3.18 Data Protection

The University's Data Protection Guidelines may be accessed via the data protection website.

Trainees also need to be aware of the University's data protection guidance notes in relation to undertaking research

2.4 Personal information

2.4.1 Change of Circumstances/Registration Status/Accessing University email

You must ensure that the University holds correct, up-to-date, personal and academic details for you. Note that only registered students may use the University's facilities, such as email and the Library. You will be asked to register online at the start of your programme of study and then to re-register at the start of every academic year thereafter until you have completed your programme.  It is a requirement of University regulations that you register when asked to do so.

The University will often communicate to you a range of important matters via your University email account. So that you do not miss out on (and as a consequence fail to act on) important information, it is a University regulation that you access your University email account regularly, even if you are out on placement or study abroad. You therefore have a responsibility to ensure that you University email account can receive incoming mail and that you read your email regularly.

2.4.2 Updating your contact details

From the point at which you register as a student of the University (via the Registration On-Line system), you are responsible for ensuring that your contact details are kept up to date at all times. If at any point in the year your address (either term-time or permanent), telephone or mobile number changes, you must log-in to your Registration On-Line (ROL) system via the University of Bath homepage and update your details. You must also notify your SD tutor and Professional Tutor in your Homeschool (or Complementary School if appropriate).

During your training year, the ITE Office and other University departments will only use your University of Bath email address and/or the address/telephone numbers you have provided for our term time details on ROL.

When you have completed (or withdrawn from) the programme, the ITE Office and other University departments will only use the contact details you have provided for your permanent details (this could be a parent's address or an address you will be returning/moving to at the end of the course). This is the address to which your transcript and graduation letter will be sent on successful completion of the course.

In addition to updating your contact details, the ROL system allows students to request 'Proof of Student Status' letters, which you will need in order to apply for Council tax exemption.

How to use Registration On-Line (ROL)

  • Log-on to the University of Bath homepage - (if accessing from outside of the campus, you will need to click on 'campus home'
  • Click on the 'A-Z' link
  • Select 'Registration On-Line'
  • Click on 'Proceed to register on-line (or view data)'
  • Follow instructions to complete registration/update your term time or permanent address/contact details or request a 'proof of student status' letter. 

The University will often communicate to you a range of important matters including registration, unit-enrolment, assessment via your University email account.  So that you do not miss out on (and as a consequence fail to act on) important information, it is a University regulation that you access your University email account regularly, even if you are out on placement or study abroad.  You therefore have a responsibility to ensure that your University email account can receive incoming mail and that you read your email regularly.  

N.B If you acquire a criminal conviction, caution, reprimand, or other penalty during your period of study you must inform the Director of Studies within seven days. Failure to disclose this information could result in disciplinary action being taken by the University.  

2.4.3 Personal circumstances

We need to keep our Student Records database (SAMIS) up-to-date. If you change your address – either your semester-time or home address – please ensure that you update your details online at

If during your studies you change your name, you will need to complete form CC1 (Notification of Change of Students Personal Circumstances) and to provide proof of change (for example, a marriage certificate). Please contact the PGCE Office if you require a CC1 form.

2.4.4 Academic circumstances

If you are considering suspending your studies or withdrawing from your programme, please discuss your situation with the Director of Studies (see further information on the PGCE wiki). He will be able to advise you on an appropriate course of action. It is a University regulation that you attend regularly; if circumstances are such that you are not able to do so, then please contact the Director of Studies to discuss your situation and agree an appropriate course of action.

Your Subject Didactics tutor will also be able to provide support and guidance on matters relating to your programme.

If you are withdrawing from the University or suspending your studies, you should also consult with the Student Finance Office and Student Services Centre, who will be able to advise you on implications for fees and on how to suspend any student funding you are receiving.

If you are an international student who holds a visa allowing you to study in the UK, you should consult the International Student Advisers in Student Services about the implications of suspending or withdrawing from your course.  

All forms are available from the Departmental Office and should be submitted to the PGCE Office for approval and processing after completion.

2.5 Funding and Finance

2.5.1 Training Bursary

Your training bursary from NCTL (for those trainees eligible) is administered by the University and will be paid, on a monthly basis, directly into your bank account. The first payment (for October's bursary), will be transferred on the last Monday in September and the last payment will be transferred on the last Monday in May for the relevant academic year.

If at any stage, you decide to withdraw from the course, you will not have to return bursary payments paid in advance to you.

Suspension of bursary payments

If you suspend from the course at any point, the training bursary will also be suspended. If a trainee fails their PoT1 unit, and the failure is confirmed by the PGCE Board of Examiners and the Faculty Board of Studies, bursary payments will be suspended. A trainee has the right to appeal against this decision (please see the section on appeals). 

If the appeal is upheld, the trainee's bursary payments will be reinstated from the point at which the bursary payment ceased. If the appeal is not upheld, the trainee will receive no further bursary payments.  

2.5.2 Discretionary Bursary

In addition to the 'core' bursary scheme, NCTL have given the University a 'discretionary bursary' allocation to recognise exceptional achievement and uplift suitable trainees to the next bursary level.

 Information from DfE about this can be found here.

The key criterion is that these bursaries are to be awarded to people who possess extensive subject-related industry experience which suggests that they will have outstanding potential as teachers.

If you think that you have such experience, you are invited to apply for a discretionary bursary as outlined below.

N.B. You will not be able to receive a discretionary bursary if:

  1. You are not eligble for UK student support
  2. You are already in the 'top tier' because you have a 1st class degree or a PhD;
  3. You have a 3rd class honours or an ordinary degree.
  4. You are a Physics trainee who has been awarded an Institute of Physics scholarship.

If you wish to apply, please complete the form attached to the wiki version of this handbook and return as an email attachment to Lahra Hall ( as soon as possible but by Friday 13 September 2013 at the latest. Decisions will be made by the end of September with a view to including any additional payments in the October bursary payments.

2.5.3 Access Agreement Bursary

There will be a small number of University of Bath bursaries to support trainees who are not awarded either 'core' and/or 'discretionary' bursaries from the Teaching Agency. These bursaries are linked to the University's Access Agreement. Details of the eligibility criteria and the applications process are attached to the wiki version of this handbook. Forms should be returned to the PGCE Office as soon as possible but by Friday 13 September 2013 at the latest.

2.5.4 Payment of expenses

Reimbursement made to PGCE trainees for expenses incurred are all made at the discretion of the University. The University will not pay any contribution towards child care costs or any other costs not referred to below.

2.5.5 University-based Days

Trainees can normally claim a contribution towards travel costs to the University for the university-based days.  Trainees can only claim additional costs above a threshold of £5 per day (round trip) and up to a maximum of £18 per day (round trip). Claims for additional travel to the University must be made on Expense Form 1 – University Based Days Travel.

The University will assume that trainees have taken advantage of discount and reduced-fare schemes. Evidence of the purchase of the card (a photocopy of the card will suffice) should be attached to the claim form.

Please note that the University will refund the cost of purchasing a Student Railcard or a Young Person's Railcard when a trainee teacher has demonstrated that their use of the card for journeys to and from the University on university-based days has resulted in savings in excess of the cost of the purchase price of the card.

The University will subsidise petrol costs for travel by car and motorbike at the rate of 30p per mile, plus 5p per mile for each passenger who might otherwise claim from the University.  If claiming for passengers, full names must be detailed on the claim form.

2.5.6 Homeschool Placements

Trainees are strongly advised to live near to their Homeschool (HS) to reduce costs. Whilst most trainee teachers are able to find accommodation close to their HS, we do recognise that, in a small number of cases, this is not possible.  In these cases, where trainee teachers find accommodation either in Bath or between Bath and their HS, this effectively results in a saving for the University at the expense of the trainee teacher.  In these circumstances the University may agree to pay travel costs, above the £5 per day threshold level and up to the £18 maximum, from the trainee teacher's accommodation address to the HS for up to 47 days (i.e. the number of University-based days attended). However, the total travel claim must not exceed the costs that would have been incurred had the trainee teacher been able to find accommodation near to their HS.

This claim is authorised at the Finance Administrator's discretion. Trainees wishing to make a claim of this nature must first seek approval by completing Expense Form 2 – Approval of Special Circumstances within two weeks from the start of the course. NOTE: only when email notification has been received confirming that an application has been approved may trainees then submit the actual claim using Expense Form 3 – Special Circumstances Travel.

Trainee teachers who find accommodation at a distance beyond their HS may only claim for travel from their Homeschool to Bath on University-based days (i.e. up to a total of 47 days).

2.5.7 Complementary School Placements

In certain circumstances, trainees may also be able to claim towards costs incurred during the Complementary School (CS) placement.  The University will only consider subsidising these costs if the CS is a greater distance, and/or travel costs are higher, than for travel to the HS. Any subsidy is up to a maximum of £18 per day.

When trainees are provided with the details of their CS placement, they will be advised whether they will be permitted to claim CS expenses. In some circumstances trainees will be permitted to claim accommodation costs (up to £25 per day for 5 days per week) to re-locate for the duration of the CS placement. Please note that trainees permitted to claim for accommodation must be able demonstrate that these are additional costs, by providing evidence of continued accommodation costs near their HS (i.e. a Tenancy Agreement or Mortgage statement).

Please note that it is deemed reasonable for trainees to commute to their CS at a distance of up to 30 miles from their term-time accommodation. The Director of Studies and the Finance Administrator will consider trainee's circumstances on a case by case basis when deciding whether trainees will be permitted to claim for additional accommodation costs.

Claims (subject to prior approval) for additional travel costs to the CS must be made on Expense Form 4 – CS Travel.

Claims (subject to prior approval) for additional accommodation costs for the period of the CS placement must be made on Expense Form 5 – CS Accommodation.

Trainees will be required to supply full documented evidence of all expenses to be reimbursed.

2.5.8 When and how to claim travel expenses

Claim forms can be obtained from the PGCE Office or can be downloaded from Moodle (PGCE programme).  Trainees should submit completed claim at the end of each block. All claims must be submitted before the last day of the course, as trainees will not be eligible to make claims thereafter. Completed claim forms must be submitted in hard copy to the PGCE drop box, located in the corridor outside of the PGCE office.
All completed claim forms must be completed and signed in full (including by SD tutor if required) and must be accompanied by all required documentation (i.e. receipts, route planner etc). Unsigned claim forms or claim forms submitted without the required receipts/documentation will not be processed. Trainees are required to keep a copy of every claim form and all receipts / documents submitted.  

All expenses are paid retrospectively, directly into trainee bank accounts. Trainees should allow at least 4 weeks between the submission of a claim and receipt of payment.

2.5.9 Financial Hardship

Financial advice can be obtained from the Student Service where staff will be able provide you with details of Student Loans and the University Hardship Fund. 

  • No labels