We use the MBA microsite for MBA live chats.
Setting up the event
Each MBA live chat is set up as a new post in the 'posts' section of WordPress.
Cloning a previous post
You can do the below, or you can use the 'clone' option in the posts page to duplicate a previous event. This will carry over stuff like categories and metadata.
To create these you need to:
1) Click 'add new' under posts on the WordPress dashboard. This will open a blank post.
2) Add the title in the title box at the top: 'MBA live chat - July 2018' (Obvs change the date depending on when the live chat is...
3) In the WYSIWYG box (the main content area) insert the below text. You'll need to make sure you are doing this in 'text' view (click the text tab in the top right corner of the WYSIWYG box)
Ask any questions you have about applying for our full-time or Executive MBAs, or studying with us. Staff and current students will be online for an hour from XXXX. Find out what time this is in your time zone.
Please use the form below if you would like us to email you a reminder.
<a href="the form here if you cannot see it below</a>.
<iframe src="" width="100%" height="900" frameborder="0" seamless=""><span data-mce-type="bookmark" style="display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;" class="mce_SELRES_start"></span></iframe>
Please note: The Gecko form for registrations is used for every MBA live chat. This NEVER changes
4) Click 'visual' view (click the text tab in the top right corner of the WYSIWYG box). The text should appear with hyperlinks and the Gecko form as a thin element within the box.
5) Visit https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20180718T130000&p1=2477 and change the date and time in Bath section to the date and time of your event. Copy the URL from the top of your browser.
6) Highlight the sentence 'Find out what time this is in your time zone' in your WordPress post and paste the URL. This will appear as a hyperlink.
7) In the categories section on the right side, click the 'Live chats' option. This makes sure this post is included in the live chat list of the site
8) Select a featured image for the post just below this. This image must be 16:9 (896 x 504 works well) and look nice (Read more about selecting and editing images for web use). Don't re-use images from previous live chats or the 'previous live chats' page will look rubbish.
9) At the bottom of the page you'll find the 'Excerpt' section. This is the small blurb that pulls in with the post across the website. Use the below text (but obvs change date/time)
We will hold an hour-long live chat about our full-time and Executive MBAs on XXXX at XXXX. You can ask staff and students any questions you have about applying or studying with us.
Yoast SEO plugin
Use this section to adjust how the post appears in search engines.
1) Click on the 'edit snippet' button
2) This will open a drop-down menu. Use the below text in each field (again, adjust date/time and leave the 'Slug' and cornerstone content tick box alone)
SEO title: Live chat 18 July - Bath MBA - University of Bath - School of Management
Metadata: We'll hold an hour-long live chat about our full-time and Executive MBAs on XXXX at XXXX. You can ask staff and students any questions you have about applying or studying with us.
Focus keyword: live chat
1) Double check the site and the preview
2) Hit that publish button!
Advertising across the site
We advertise the live chat in a few places across the site.
1) Open the homepage from the 'pages' section of the WordPress dashboard
2) Scroll to the bottom of the page to the 'Featured Story Block'. Tick this on if it is off.
3) Use the below information to fill this out:
Image: Same as the featured image from the post
Title: MBA live chat - XXXX
Copy: We'll hold an hour-long live chat about our full-time and Executive MBAs on <strong>XXXX at XXXX</strong>.<br/><br/>Ask staff and students any questions you have about applying or studying with us. <a class="button medium" href="out more and register</a>
(the button text and button URL fields appear to be broken since the Gutenberg update of Wordpress...)
4) Remember to the update page using the button at the top
5) It should look like this
News and events stories
1) Open 'News and events' from the 'pages' section of the WordPress dashboard
2) Scroll to 'Featured Post' field at the bottom
3) Change this to the live chat post from the options available
4) It should look similar to this
Selected news stories section
We can select certain stories to appear in the Business in context section at the bottom of certain articles. It's a good idea to include the live chat here.
1) Open the 'Global Text' option from the left-hand menu on the WordPress dashboard
2) Find the 'News and events' and within that 'Global Stories'
3) Remove one of the four from the right-hand column. To do this hover over the title and then click the minus symbol that appears on the right
4) in the left-hand column find the live chat's title and then drag it over to the right. make sure it's in spot one, two or three, as these appear front end (option four is a backup)
5) Return to the top of the page and click update
6) It should look like this
Advertising across the School of Management pages
After the live chat
The first thing to do is remove the advertising from the School of Management pages.
Once this is done changes can be made to the live chat post to turn it past tense
1) Insert the below text in place of everything in the WYSIWYG box (change dem deets (date/time) tho, playa)
We held an hour-long live chat about our MBA on 25 June 2018 at 13:00 (BST).
You can read the questions and answers from this live chat below.
<div style="display: none;">Live Blog MBA live chat</div>
<iframe style="width: 100%; height: 700px;" src="//wwwssl.coveritlive.com/embed.html?altcastCode=XXXX&srcdom=www.coveritlive.com&srcdomsec=wwwssl.coveritlive.com&height=700&entryLoc=top&commentLoc=bottom&replayContentOrder=chronological&embedType=stream&" frameborder="0"><span data-mce-type="bookmark" style="display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;" class="mce_SELRES_start"></span>
<a class="button medium" href="our other previous live chats</a>
2) To ensure the correct iframe appears, use the code in the above section, but change the ID of the old chat (XXXX) for the ID of the new chat. You can find this in the URL for the chat (example below)
3) In the categories section untick 'Live chats' and tick 'Previous live chats'
4) Use the below text in the excerpt section (Change the date and time though)
We held an hour-long live chat about our MBA on 25 June 2018. You can read the questions and answers from our last MBA live chat here.
5) In the Yoast SEO plug-in section use the following details (you know the drill by now, right?)
Metadata: We held an hour-long live chat about our MBA on 25 June 2018 at 13:00 (BST). You can read the questions and answers from this live chat here.
6) Return to the top of the page click the update the button
Changing the advertising
Essentially we want to keep the old live chat live for a few days/a week so people can look at it retrospectively. This involves changing the tense of the homepage ad
1) Open the homepage from the pages section of the WordPress dashboard
2) Scroll to the 'Featured Story Block'
3) Change the text in the 'copy' field to:
We held an hour-long live chat about our full-time and Executive MBAs on <strong>18 July 2018 at 14:00 (BST)</strong>.<br/><br/>You read the questions and answers from this here.
4) Return to the top of the page and update
5) The Business in context stories page and global stories will update automatically from the changes made to the post page
6) Set reminders in the webadmin calendar to remove the homepage ad, change the global stories and featured story on Business in context stories in a week's time