Requesting a domain name
Receipt of initial request
When the request comes in to support, the requestor needs to complete the request form bearing in mind the guidelines below.
- The request to register an external domain name for a project by a department or group needs to be by their Head of Department.
- Our preference is to keep sites under the bath.ac.uk domain. People should be encouraged to do so.
- We should only register domains on our 1and1 account for sites that will be hosted on our web servers (there are many advantages to this - Website hosting guidance). We cannot provide support for people who have registered their own domains, only give them the details for correctly setting their A record.
- Any URL requested should follow the guidelines at URL standards for bath.ac.uk
Form is received
We need the additional information from the requestor in order to set it up. We also need to inform them of the charges relating to the domain.
Information required for the Servers and Storage team
We need the following information so that we can provide this to the Servers and Storage team when we pass the request on to them:
- How long is the domain needed?
- What type of content will it host and how will it be managed? Does software need to be installed to manage the site?
- Any CGI/scripting (eg PHP) or Application servers needed?
- Supporting facilities - Databases, email lists
- Is an upload faciility required?
- Who will own the files (editors etc)?
- Who is responsible for the content? Contact email address?
- Is a secure certificate required? This will probably incur an annual cost
- Are there any access restrictions required? (eg to comply with Data Protection and FOI)
- Security - you agree to keep your own content updated in line with security patches where necessary
- Methods of access - will be an NFS share, but is CIFS access required?
- What logging of web access requests do you want and how long do you want to keep it for?
- What is the name of the vhost in question (plus any aliases)?
Information required for the Digital Team
- Which usernames need edit permission within the folder?
- Agresso code so they can be journalled for the domain charge.
Further information received
When they have completed the form and provided the additional information, forward this on to the Head of Digital for consideration by the Digital Steering Group.
Domain is authorised
Buy domain on 1and1 account
- Log in to the 1and1 account - you can use one of our existing domain names for the username.
- Go to 'Administration -> Domains -> New' and enter the relevant details, most of the contact details should be automatically filled in.
- Set the DNS A record to point to our web server "Domains (select a domain) -> DNS -> Edit DNS Settings
- IP Address (A-Record) Other IP: 22.214.171.124
Send request to Servers and Storage Team
- Send a request to email@example.com for the attention of the Servers and Storage Team including the information gathered from "Information required for the Servers and Storage team"
Reply received from Servers and Storage Team
- Create group on UNIX group manager for the new vhost and add the usernames required by the requestor
- Wait up to an hour for the changes to take effect
- Change the group on the vhost folder to the new UNIX group
- Let the requestor know that it has been set up and provide them with the network path and instructions on mounting the drive.
- Tell Gail Gillespie the amount that will be charged to our department credit card, who the group contact is and their Agresso code.
Invoice received from 1and1
- Once the invoice is received forward this onto Gail Gillespie. The email contact for the account is firstname.lastname@example.org. The network team will drop 1and1 emails into web-frontline so that we can action if necessary.
- Add the domain details to this listing
A notification of renewal will be received about a month before it is due. If we take no action it will be automatically renewed and we will be charged. Check if the domain is still required.
Change the case requestor to the person who is responsible for the domain name
Reply to the case:
- Place case in "Pending" status until a reply has been received
If no reply has been received after 7 days, send a reminder:
- If the domain is still required ensure you tell Gail Gillespie about the new charge
- When the invoice arrives forward this onto Gail Gillespie
- If the domain is not required follow the steps under Cancellation
- Log onto 1and1 contracts
- Select "Cancellation" -> "1&1 Instant Domain Transfer"
Select "Individual domains/additional items"
Defaults will nuke the entire university!
- Select domain -> "expire" & "at end of billing period"
- Email confirmation will go to lanmaster. When it comes through click link to confirm
- Remove the details from this list or at least strike it through with a reason for removal
- Remove references to the site from the Apache config (or schedule their removal if the expiry date is in the future)