NB - please do not attempt to edit the left-hand menus unless you understand the Information Architecture model of the site. The left-hand menu is only to be used to link to files that are in the same folder (e.g. the contacts left menu should only link to pages in the contacts folder). If you want to add links to other websites, or other areas of your site, use Related links in the right-hand column.
In order to be added to the group of people who can edit left-hand menus, you will need to contact email@example.com and ask to be added to the cms-template-developers group.
Can I link to other websites from the left-hand menu?
No. The left-hand menu is purely for pages within your departmental site. Links to other sites (including sites in the bath.ac.uk domain that are not your department and therefore have a different left-hand navigation) go in the right-hand menu. This is because it is confusing if the left-hand navigation changes and you can't see how to get back to where you were.
- Click on the /site-components/navigation/ folder of your site.
- Click on the file icon (not the file name) of the menu you require (e.g. if it's the contacts menu, it is likely to be called contacts-leftnav or similar).
- Select edit from the drop-down menu
- Add or move menu items by clicking on the targets on the right-hand side:
- The menu being edited above results in the following layout:
To assign your left-hand menu to a folder
- Click on the yellow folder icon of the folder you want to assign your new left-hand column to
- Select Properties
- Click on Advanced Properties
- Scroll down to bath.leftcol-nav
/[yoursite]/site-components/navigation/[yournewleftnav]in the bath.leftnav box (substituting actual site name and filename for bits in square brackets)
- Scroll down to the bottom, click OK