- Download and install Pidgin (you do not need Administrator privileges to do this)
- When you run the program for the first time, you will see a screen entitled Buddy List
- Click on Accounts on the menu bar, and select Manage. This will launch a new window called Accounts.
- Click on the Add button
- Under Protocol select XMPP
- In Screen Name type your University of Bath username
- In Domain type
- In Resource type your location (or anything else)
- In Password type your University of Bath password
- In Local Alias enter the name you would like to appear next to your communications (usually first name + last name)
- Optional step: Make sure that Remember Password is checked
- Optional step: If you want to use a picture to appear as your "avatar", tick the box next to Use this buddy icon for this account and click on the icon that currently appears there. This will allow you to browse and select a new one.
- Click Save.
After a short wait you should find your Buddy List is populated with contacts and groups. If you double-click on one a message window will appear. In the messaging window type your message and press enter (on the keyboard).