TO BE PUBLISHED ON MAIN BUCS WEB SPACE AND THE BUCSTECH WIKI PAGES (UNDER NETWORKING)
Connecting to the Bath University VPN via an EeePC requires some setup of the connection followed by a small configuration change for which you will need to access the console. We will go through the two stages to get you set up, providing screenshots to help along the way.
Stage 1: Setting up the connection:
- From the main screen, click on the Internet tab at the top.
- Select the Network option on this screen to bring up the network connections box.
- Here you will find various network connections including your Local area connection and wireless, as shown below:
- Click on the Create button to start creating a new network connection, this will bring up the following screen:
- From the list provided, scroll down to the bottom to select Virtual Private Network - PPTP VPN and click Next
- You should leave the next screen at its default setting of Use any active network connection and click Next
- Under Server Settings, you should enter the host name vpn.bath.ac.uk (see below) and click Next to continue
- You will not need to provide a WINS server for this connection, and so you can leave the box on the next screen empty and continue by clicking Next
- You will now be prompted to provide your university username and password for the connection. You should enter these followed by Next. (Note: If this is a portable device such as laptop, then you may wish to un-check the remember password box for security reasons.)
- On the final screen, you will be asked to name the connection, you should use a descriptive name such as University of Bath VPN and click Next
- You will now be provided with an overview of the settings that you have chosen, and given various options for starting this connection automatically should you wish to do so. For now, we can leave this at its default and simply click Finish.
You will notice that your VPN connection will now display in the list of Network Connections that you have returned to. Simply close this window to return to the main desktop.
Stage 2: Modifying the config file
- From your main desktop, click on the Work tab across the top of the screen and open the File Manager
- Click on Tools in the menu and then select Open Console Window
- In the console window that appears, type in the following: Please note that the above filename is vpn1 (number one)
- Scroll down to the bottom of this file, and enter the following on a new line (as shown below):
- Save the file by clicking on File and Save, and then close the window, followed by closing the console window
Congratulations, you have now completed the full setup of your VPN connection. Please continue below to find out how to connect using this VPN and set up your shared directories.
- In the Network Connections screen, scroll down to your University of Bath VPN connection and click on it
- Click on the Connection drop-down button below the list of connections and click on connect
- The status listed next to University of Bath VPN should shortly change from Disconnected to Enabled
Accessing your shared files (H: drive)
Unfortunately, due to the way in which the EeePC is setup it is not currently possible to permanently access the network shares, however you may connect to a share for the current session (until you logout, or disconnect the VPN) as follows:
- Open a Console window from within the File Manager
- Create a directory that this share will be mounted onto by typing:
- Now you have created the directory, you will need to mount the share from the server:
- Close the console window. You will now be able to access your share within the directory named network-files under your home in File Manager