Gov.uk's guide to writing digital content is thorough and excellent.
- Hemingway app - brilliant browser-based app that helps make your writing clearer
- Grammarly - available as a desktop app or browser plugin. Useful for picking up common grammatical errors
- The Economist magazine's style guide - the University follows this. Use when the University style guide doesn't cover what you want to know
- active and passive verb forms - clear and concise web content should normally use the active verb form. This guide can help when you're unsure, or need a brush-up
- guidelines for writing news articles
- digital copywriting one day course - presented by Tim Tucker (PDF)
- the plain English campaign's free guides (in PDF unfortunately)
- list of plain English alternatives to more complicated words
When you are creating, writing, editing the webpages, consider the following:
- Who or what is this for?
- What value does this offer?