The Board of Studies is responsible to Senate for all matters relating to the organisation of education, teaching and research in the Faculty, including all examination matters.
Secretary to the Board : If you would like further information about the Board of Studies for the Faculty of Science, please contact Marguerite Hallett (ext 3433, email email@example.com>)
Professor Glynis Breakwell
Professor David Bird
Heads of Departments in the Faculty:
Professor Simon J Bending
Professor Christopher Jennison
Professor Rod J Scott
Biology and Biochemistry
Professor Christopher Frost
Professor Stephen G Ward
Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Professor Eamonn O'Neill
Nine members elected by and from the Academic Assembly members of the Faculty (to include at least one from each Department in the Faculty):
Dr Andy D Burrows (2013/14 - July 2016)
Dr Hazel R Corradi (2013/14 - July 2016)
Biology & Biochemistry
Dr James Doughty (2012/13 - July 2018)
Biology & Biochemistry
Dr Johannes Nordstrom (2014/15 - July 2018)
Professor Roland S G Jones (2012/13 - July 2018)
Pharmacy & Pharmacology
Dr Gary Mathlin (2010/11 - July 2016)
|Dr John Power (2010/11 - July 2016)||Computer Science|
Dr Hartmut Schwetlick (2012/13 - July 2015) TBC
|Dr Denise A Taylor (2011/12 - July 2017)||Pharmacy & Pharmacology|
Dr Steve J Roser, Natural Sciences
Professor Chick Wilson
Associate Dean (Research)
Dr Alan Hayes
Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching)
Professor Sue Wonnacott
Associate Dean (Graduate Studies)
Miss Lucy Woodcock
Students' Union Sabbatical Officer (Education)
Miss Roseanna McMahon OR
Mr Thomas Parker
UG representative, Computer Science
UG representative, Mathematical Sciences
Representatives from other Faculties/Schools:
Professor Chris Bowen (to July 2016)
Faculty of Engineering & Design
Dr Janet Bultitude
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr Zeynep Yalabik
School of Management
Dr Florin Bisset
Learning Partnerships Office
|Mrs Amanda Harper||Faculty of Science|
Dates of meetings 2015/16Dates of meetings 2016/17
15 September 2015 (Supplementary results)
7 October 2015
12 October 2016
1 South 0West 3.0118 November 201530
23 November 2016
1 South 0East 3.016
13 11 January 20162017
3W 1 West 3.724 February 201630
1 March 2017
1 South 0.01
20 April 2016CB 4.5
26 April 2017
1 South 0West 3.0130
18 May 201624 May 2017
1 South 0.01
22 June 2016 TBC
27 June 2017 (Final Year results)
|1 July 2016 |
1 South 0.01
|7 July 2017 (Continuing results)||Friday||2:15pm||13 September 2016 |
1 South 0.01
20 September 2017 (Supplementary results)
1 South 0.01
Terms of Reference
Amended by Privy Council 1st August 2009 (ToR update approved by Senate on 5 February 2014)
The functions of Boards of Studies are prescribed by Section 20.1 of the Statutes. In this context "School" refers to the Faculty.
20.1 There shall be a Board of Studies of each School which shall have the following functions:
- To advise and report to the Senate on all matters relating to the organisation of education, teaching, learning and research in the subjects of the School, including curricula and examinations.
- To consider the progress of Students in the School.
- To appoint internal and external examiners in the subjects of the School.
- To recommend to the Senate any appointment of an external examiner where the aggregate term of office exceeds four consecutive years.
- To consider and where necessary take action on any matters which may be referred to it by the Senate.
- To advise and recommend to the Senate on the academic strategy of the School.
- To carry out any functions which may be given to or imposed on it by the Ordinances.
In order to discharge their statutory obligations, Boards of Studies will be responsible to Senate for the following key functions:
(1) the approval and evaluation of academic strategy for the Faculty/School (e.g.Research Strategy);
(2) the strategic consideration of initial programme proposals for submission to the Academic Programmes Committee, including the rigour of the underpinning market research, the student choice available and the strategic fit of the proposal;
(3) the strategic consideration of proposed collaborative provision, including Institutional Agreements and Exchange Partners, for submission to the Academic Programmes Committee;
(4) the academic standards and quality of the education, teaching and research across the Faculty/School and the dissemination of good practice;
(5) the monitoring and review of departmental implementation of institutional quality assurance and academic frameworks;
(6) consideration of delegation of authority to appropriate subject-level fora to approve minor and intermediate changes to units on the recommendation of the Faculty/School Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee;
(7) the monitoring of the progress of individual students (including exceptional changes of student circumstances and individual schemes of study and supplementary assessment), under delegated powers from Senate;
(8) the award of degrees on the recommendation of Boards of Examiners for Programmes, under delegated powers from Senate;
(9) rescission of an original award and grant of a new award as a result of either a student academic review or an administrative error identified after the conferment of the original award. This rescission may be authorised by the Chair on behalf of the Board under Board of Studies Standing Order 7(f);
(10) the establishment of new academic prizes, under delegated powers from Senate;
(11) the conduct and outcomes of student academic reviews and investigation of assessment offences;
(12) the monitoring of student complaints, student academic reviews and investigations of assessment offences;
(13) the appointment of Directors of Studies and Heads of Group and the establishment of Groups under powers conferred by Ordinances 4 and 5;
(14) the appointment of External Examiners (except where the aggregate term of office exceeds four consecutive years) and Visiting Academic Staff under delegated powers from Senate;
(15) the approval of part-time and secondary academic appointments and appointment of postgraduate research students into teaching roles;
(16) the establishment, award and grant of Fellowships, Studentships, Scholarships, Bursaries and other such grants at the level of the Faculty/School;
(17) the receipt and consideration of reports from the Departments in the Faculty;
(18) the approval of the establishment and disestablishment of Research Centres; the approval of the appointment of Directors and Deputy Directors of Research Centres; the approval of the continuation of Centres following review by a Faculty / School Research Committee on a three-year cycle.
Each Board of Studies has the power to establish sub-committees as necessary. Each Board of Studies will routinely establish the following sub-committees:
- Graduate School Committee
- Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee
- Research Committee
- Research Students Committee
- Boards of Examiners for Programmes
- Boards of Examiners for Postgraduate Research Students
- Progression Board of Examiners (in accordance with Ordinance 15 and Regulation 16.5)
The Board of Studies will also convene meetings (as required) of:
Review Sub-Committee (in accordance with Regulation 17, Conduct of Student Academic Reviews and Appeals)
Board of Inquiry (in accordance with QA53, Examination and Assessment Offences)
In accordance with Board of Studies Standing Order 7(f), the Chair is authorised to act on behalf of the Board during the vacation and at other times to deal with urgent business which requires a formal decision before the next available meeting of the Board, subject to report of any action taken to the next meeting of the Board. The decision will be confirmed by the Chair in writing. This is on the basis that, if any such matter is expected to be of significant interest or the subject of significant debate, members of the Board will be consulted by correspondence before any decision is taken or a special meeting of the Board will be scheduled. The Chair of a Sub-Committee of the Board of Studies may also act on behalf of the Sub-Committee during the vacation and at other times to deal with urgent business on the aforementioned basis. In the case of the Faculty/School Research Students Committee, the urgent business procedure can be used during the vacation and at other times where an urgent decision is required in the interests of the student without detriment to the quality and standards of provision.
Dates and Minutes of Meetings
Minutes of Meetings
Please note that the summaries and minutes of meetings of the Board of Studies for the Faculty of Science published above exclude information which the University has declared will not be routinely published under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Further information about the Act (including the reasons why such information is exempt from publication) is available at http://www.bath.ac.uk/foi/faqs-staff-general.htm. If you have any queries about business conducted by the Committee and cannot find reference to it in the summaries/minutes published here, please contact Marguerite Hallett, Faculty Assistant Registrar, (ext 3433, email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Standing Orders: Board of Studies Standing Orders - http://www.bath.ac.uk/orders/bos/
Appointment of Chair: The Dean of Faculty (Section 8.3 of the Statutes).
Appointment Of Vice-Chair: See Standing Order 4(a).
Membership: See Ordinance 10.
Co-options: Up to five, see Ordinance 10.
Alternates: See Standing Order 1(b). For ex-officio members only - allowed at the discretion of the person nominating.
Quorum: See Section 28.1(iv) of the Statutes and Standing Order 4(b-d).
Rules for voting: See Standing Orders 9 and 10.
Minutes: Submitted to Senate.
Other relevant links/reference material: